Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Feeling bad at leaving husband and daughter-in-law stranded in the snow on an isolated country lane

The agreement was that whoever was behind the wheel at the point the others managed to push the car back into motion must continue going (if possible) until out of deep snow.

We thought we’d done the hard bit in getting up the hill so didn’t expect deep snow in the dip at the bottom. Daft really, where else would deep snow go? There was one spot 100 yards on where I could have stopped and waited but I thought they’d been picked up by the grain lorry now following and it wasn’t that secure a spot, just slightly shallower snow. By the time real traction on the wheels returned and I stopped to retrieve the family from the grain lorry, I was a mile or so further on. He hadn’t dared stop for them, he told me, or he’d have been in the deep snow too.

What could I do? I couldn’t leave the car in the middle of the road to go back for them; couldn’t drive back for them, so went home, picked up spare gloves and hats and things (would have included huskies and a hip flask but we have neither) and yomped back across country.

Trudged almost as far as the mill. No sign of anyone. Called out but the blizzard was against me. Then spied a lone figure. And here it gets into lucky-after-all territory. If I hadn’t driven off and left them or had realised they weren’t in the grain lorry and stopped sooner, then we might have made it home but Son would have ended up stranded with a much longer walk.

They spied him in the distance heading for home via the same route in the little car. Since the big car hadn’t made it, the little car hadn’t a hope, but luckily it gave up way before getting to the dip so they could push it back to the main road and try another route in.

Father and Son headed off in the little car, leaving daughter-in-law to walk back. That’s not as heartless as it sounds. The little car won’t fit more than two and going the long way round they were in serious danger of ending up in a snow drift much further from home.

Neighbouring farmer with 4*4 picked us up and dropped us at the door. Thank you very much. Father and son arrived soon afterwards having made it all the way to the bottom of the drive before getting stuck.

Hot food and drinks all round and a happy ending. I’m due to go in for a Radio Humberside interview tomorrow. Not yet decided if I’ll brave it into town or sit tight and ask to do it by phone.

Pure coincidence that I took my phone out and snapped a pic of the road ahead just as we were gliding down towards the drift that caught us.


  1. Wow, there's got to be a story there. Glad you all lived happily ever after.

  2. Oh so glad you all made it home safe. Venture out again only if you must, Penny.

  3. Crikey. Okay, then. I'll stop moaning about my cold ears down here in snowless, (but ear-bitingly cold) Bristol.

  4. Gosh, Penny! What a story! Glad you are all safe and warm now.

  5. And what were you doing out in the first place??? Trying to sell books? Do the radio interview by phone. Which listeners are going to know?

    Wimpish Linda who never ventured even as far as the dustbin, and we've a lot less snow than you.

  6. Wow,Penny, what a horrible experience. I'm so glad you are all ok. Paul left work at 2.40 and limped as far as Thirtleby on A165 when he was stopped by the police who said the road was closed due to a lorry accident. He then decided to risk coming back to Hornsea via Thirtleby and on the coast road through Cowden and Mappleton, following tractor and 4x4 tracks. When he did arrive home two hours later, he was as white as a sheet and very scared. He is not going in today but has to take a day's leave because it appears to be risk your life for the company or lose your holiday!