Wednesday 3 February 2010

Sorry, my Facebook friends – not a hope

Here's what I said in 2012: I originally wrote this blog about Facebook in 2010, but as it remains relevant in 2012, I'm updating it. OK, and now I'm updating it again.

I used to be a FB incompetent, not really understanding how it all fitted together. I cyber-shook hands with new friends, replied to messages and joined in the good causes that I thought worthwhile. I use it much more now. I've attended some incredible online events just recently.

But I was never able to take on Facebook as another dimension to life. I didn’t have the time and I still don't have the time. I have a blog, a website and twitter (and a Facebook page) - none of which I update as often as I should. I have a busy non-virtual life, too.

What I said back in 2010 was that I was not signing up to the virtual farm game. Not ever. I’d seen people using up real worry over their virtual turnips and had always had enough to do here with the real farm. I recently noted a stack of invitations to join something similar, or maybe the same game in its 2012 guise. I'm afraid the message remains the same.

And now here we are in 2013, with a great tsunami of games invitations pouring in - no virtual turnips in sight, just multicoloured doo-dahs and tempting glittery adverts. I didn't have time in 2010. I didn't have time in 2012. And I still don't have time in 2013. If I ever find the time, rest assured I will use it to do the things on that long list of things to do if I ever find the time. Guess what, to date there is not a glimmer of a Facebook game even on the furthest reaches of that list.

So, sorry my Facebook friends, there was no hope of tempting me into anything like that back in 2010 & 2012. And there's even less hope now.

No comments:

Post a Comment